Sunday, March 21, 2010

Say bees

Lately I am convinced that understanding a toddler can be compared to learning a new language. Maren is quite the talker, but sometimes she uses the same word for different things. For example, the word "bees" refers to bears and binkis. And the other day she FINALLY said "please," but (of course) she pronounces it "bees." You may be wondering how I distinguish between the three. By listening to her tone and using clues in the surrounding environment, I can usually crack the code. When Maren wakes up at three in the morning, crying "bees" I know she probably lost her binki and needs me to find it for her. When she hands me the TV remote or points to the cupboard with the chocolate chips and says "bees" she is asking for something. When she is watching Monsters, Inc. and points to the teddy bear on the screen while saying "bees," she wants me to notice the bear.

Next, I am working on deciphering "dada" which can refer to Daddy or doggy.

No comments: