Sunday, April 10, 2011

Antietam

Saturday we spent the morning visiting Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland. (I've made a list of a few key battle sites that are fairly close which I hope to visit. I was pleased to mark another off my program.) Chris actually visited the Antietam while serving his mission (a decade ago...yikes!), but was excited to take me and Maren. The little farming town was so picturesque; it's amazing to think that it was the stage to the bloodiest one-day battle of the American Civil War.


Visitor's Center

(Below) Major General George McClellan and Abraham Lincoln on October 1962, following the Battle of Antietam. This photo was covering a wall at the Visitor's center and I just love it.



Dunkers Church


Sunken Road (Bloody Lane Trail)

Lower Bridge (Burnside Bridge)


No comments: