Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bull Run

GEORGE: Wow, Keith Hernandez. He's such a great player.

JERRY: Yeah, he's a real smart guy too. He's a Civil War buff.

GEORGE: I'd love to be a Civil War buff. ... What do you have to do to be a buff

JERRY: So Biff wants to be a buff? ... Well sleeping less than 18 hours a day
would be a start.

Living in Virginia has provided me many opportunities to visit Washington DC and other historical sites. In fact, whenever I feel a little blue about living far from family and I'm missing my husband, I pull myself out of my funk by planning a short excursion. Still, I never expected to become so fascinated with Civil War history, but living conveniently close to many major battlefields (like-under-a-mile close) has really ignited some interest. Last week, Maren and I visited Manassas, the site of both battles of Bull Run.


Henry House

Maren walking through the "big grass."
When Maren first saw this statue of Thomas Jackson, she asked, "Mama, who's that?" I told her it was Stonewall Jackson. Later in the bookstore, she spotted a little statue of a man riding a horse and pointed out "Stonewall Jackson!" (It was actually Robert E. Lee.) Here she is trying to climb onto Stonewall Jackson's horse.
Stone House

No comments: