Saturday, October 30, 2010

wash day

I made my own laundry soap. It was fun and I am doing a little research to figure out ways to make my recipe cheaper. I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap which costs close to $4 a bar; a little expensive but it smells great, especially for this time of year. A lot of website say you can use any bar soap and suggest Ivory, Zote or Fels Naptha. Some sites also suggest using essential oils for fragrance.

Peppermint Laundry Soap:
1 bar soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax

Finely grate soap, mix together all ingredients and store in a jar. Use 1/8 cup per load. (To grate soap you can use a cute little mouse cheese grater or, like me, realize halfway through the operation that you own a food processor which is much quicker.)
Now for show-and-tell. I found this little wooden school desk at an antique store and the chair was a $2 thrift store find. Don't you love the color? I live in antique and thrift store heaven!
Chris brought back this little owl family from Peru.
Happy Halloween! Our little family is planning to carve pumpkins this afternoon and Maren keeps telling my she wants to carve hers like a kitty with eyes, nose and feet.

No comments: