Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making Yogurt


I finally made yogurt. I love plain yogurt and I have been wanting to try it for a while, but was (to be honest) pretty sure it would fail. Well, it work and was really easy! My mom used to make it all the time when I was young, but stopped when we moved to Utah. I think she mentioned once that it was more difficult to make because of the altitude or humidity or something. I looked for some recipes online and liked the Soule Mama recipe best. A lot of other sites suggested using a double boiler system, sterilizing equipment, using a yogurt-making thermometer, etc. I didn't want to go out and buy a ton of stuff so I just kept things simple and the recipe was a success!

I bought a heat pad to incubate the yogurt over night but was ticked when I found out the pad has an automatic shut off. (I seriously considered waking up every two hours in the night to turn it back on.) Instead, I put the jars by the warmest heat vent I could find which worked just fine.
Tastes great with homemade granola and fruit.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Autumn! You're the best. I LOVE my birthday gift. It made me smile. I can't to try all these exciting things you keep posting! You have always inspired me. Miss you. Love you.